You know what they say, “Beauty is a pain!” To look beautiful, you have to sacrifice a lot of things and have a lot of patience as well as persistence.
One of these beautiful works is getting a spray tan. It takes a lot of your time and patience to get the perfect natural golden tan.
Now, after all that. You don’t want the whole process to wash away with water, do you?
So, you have to wait and follow some rules before you just run into the shower. Most people using spray tan ask this question even now and then: “how long to wait to shower after spray tanning?”
If you are one of them, then, you are lucky to have found this article. In this article, I am going to discuss how long should you wait to shower after tanning and what rules to follow to shower after tanning.
- 1 How long to wait to shower after spray tanning?
- 2 What happens if you shower after a spray tan?
- 3 How to shower after a spray tan?
- 4 Does spray tan develop after the shower?
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Final Thoughts
How long to wait to shower after spray tanning?
If this is your first time with spray tanning, you are probably wondering about how long to wait before the shower.
The best thing is to take a shower before the tanning and then shower the next day. But you are recommended to wait at least 5-8 hours after spray tanning before you get into a shower.
However, don’t wait more than 24 hours. Don’t get worried if you see some golden glow getting washed away.
It’s very common when you are showering for the first time after getting a spray tan. You will still have your bronze look after the bath.
Make sure you wait at least 4 hours before a shower to avoid washing off spray tan too early.
Then you might look like you have blemishes on your skin!
Besides showering, you should also avoid applying moisturizer after 4 hours of spray tan. Also, refrain from doing anything that might cause you to sweat or make your tan wet like working out or using a liquid foundation.
The first few hours after a spray tanning session is the pick hours of the tan’s foundation. So, make sure it never gets washed away in these hours.
Read also: How Much Does a Spray Tan Cost?
What happens if you shower after a spray tan?
Your tan can be good for nothing if you take your shower right after the session. Most of the golden glow will wash away and the tan will lose its effectiveness.
Also, your skin will have brown stains all over. You don’t want that to happen after spending so much time and money on it, right?
So, you have to wait a few hours before taking a shower. The best way of getting a tan is to get it applied in the evening and take a shower the next day morning. In that way, your tanning is safe and you get a shower in your regular time!
Washing hair after a spray tan
Most people get confused when they are told not to shower for a few hours about if they should wash their hair after a spray tan.
You are strongly recommended to wait a few hours for showering as well as washing your hair.
However, if you really need to wash them, there are some rules you should follow. First of all, make sure that your shampoo and conditioner are completely sulfate or hard salt-free. It will prevent most of your tan from washing away.
Moreover, you should try to avoid your skin while rinsing the shampoo and conditioner away and keep your hair up after you are done so that the water doesn’t continue to slide through.
Rinse the water as slow as you can. In case you made a mistake and washed away a little of your tan, don’t freak out. You can always use a self-tanner with a tan formula to touch up the damaged parts.
How to shower after a spray tan?
Just like I mention earlier, you have to wait for 5-8 hours before taking a shower.
The longer you take, the better, but don’t take more than a day!
After you have waited for a few hours, you still can’t jump into the shower since it’s your first one after the tan. You will have to follow some techniques so that your tan doesn’t fade away.
- No matter how exhausted you are the first shower you take after a spray tan should be a warm water rinse.
- That means you can’t use any soap, body wash, or scrubbing.
- Using a soap before 24 hours can stop your tan’s development and you will not get the expected tan color.
All you have to do is quickly pour some warm water, rinse the water gently with your hands, and come out!
- Moreover, make sure that the products you use after your shower are paraben and sulfate-free. Also, avoid using any kind of alcohol or dyes that might make your skin dry.
- Lastly, always pat yourself dry after showering rather than rubbing yourself. Rubbing can smudge your tan, or worse, erase it wholly. So, you should always be gentle with your skin to get better results.
- An extra tip is using a quality moisturizer after the post-spray shower. A moisturizer keeps your skin nourished as well as maintains a good tan color. Also, applying moisturizer after a tanning session helps to regain the moisture that your skin loses in the process. It’s best to use products that contain hyaluronic acid which does an excellent job of keeping your skin soft and smooth.
Does spray tan develop after the shower?
This is a very common question among those who had their first spray tan ever.
If you are having the first shower after your spray tan, you will probably see some golden glow washing away. Like I said earlier, there’s nothing to be worried about. This is just the extra bronzer washing-off.
However, your tan does develop after a shower like it’s supposed to do. Your spray tan will keep developing even after your shower and will be fully developed in like 6-8 hours. So, don’t worry!
Some Extra Tips
Now that you know most of the things about showering after a spray tan session, it’s time to give you some extra tips so that you can get the best result from your tan. Check out the following tips to get a beautiful glowing bronze tan color:
- One of the most effective tips before going into the tanning session is exfoliating the shower at least 5 hours before your tanning session. Experts often recommend this because it helps the tan to hold onto your skin perfectly. Also, helps your skin to absorb the color properly.
However, make sure that the exfoliator is oil-free so that it doesn’t make the tan wet. It’s even better if you can find one with organic ingredients.
- One of the most important things to remember is to get done with all of your other beauty works like waxing or nails before your tanning session.
You should know that wax can stay on your skin for a long-time causing difficulty for your spray tan. So, make sure to wax at least 24 hours before your spray tan.
- The same thing goes with shaving. Make sure to shave at least 5 hours before your session.
- Never wear any makeup or apply any kind of lotion during your spray tan. You will get the best results if applied to your natural skin.
- After your spray tan, avoid doing any kinds of things that require a water touch like swimming, baths, saunas, and long showers.
- Apply moisturizer constantly day and night after getting a spray tan. It will keep your skin nourished.
- However, never use cheap products that might cause damage to the tan. Use quality moisturizers that will keep the tan color intact and shiny.
- You can also use a highlighter and some bronzer to keep your skin and tan glowing for a long time.
- You should wear loose-fitting clothes and shoes for the first 24 hours so that the tan doesn’t come off and gets on your clothes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Can I wait 24 hours to shower after a spray tan?
How long you should wait after a spray tan session depends a lot on how dark you want your tan to be. If you want a light tone, generally, 4-8 hours is fine. Overnight will make your tan darker.
Now imagine how dark you can get by waiting 24 hours before showering!
So, if you want a very dark-colored tan then you are free to wait for 24 hours before showering. However, never wait for more than 24 hours. You might get some unexpected results and colors!
Q2: Can I use body wash after a spray tan?
No. No matter how much you need to wash your body with soap, never use anybody wash right after a spray tanning session.
You should know by now that using body washes can wash away your tan or damage the process. So, to avoid all that you are strictly recommended not to body wash after a spray tan.
However, after your first post spray shower, you can use sulfate-free body washes for the rest of the days. But make sure those are completely paraben and sulfate-free. You don’t want to roam around with tan stains, do you?
Q3: Can I leave my spray tan on overnight?
Of course, you can! Since you already know that showering early can make your tan wash away completely. So, you have to wait for a standard time before showering after a spray tan session.
While most people recommend waiting for at least 8 hours before showering, keeping an overnight tan is one of the best ways of developing your tan color.
The longer you wait, the better your tan will develop and the color will get darker. So, leaving you to spray tan overnight is actually a very good idea.
Q4: Can I wash my face after a spray tan?
No, you can’t. When you are told to wait for 5-8 hours before showering after a spray tan session that also includes not washing your face for the same hours.
After you have already taken your first shower, you can wash your face as well. Washing your face early can as well damage your tan just like showering.
So, if you want to have a good glowing tan color, refrain from washing your face. You can apply makeup though. But can’t wash your face immediately!
Q5: Will Swimming affect my tan?
Definitely, it will. You can’t jump into the water right away after you have just got your spray tanning. Too much contact with water will not only damage the development of the tan but also wash it away completely. That is why you are supposed to wait before showering too!
So, you are strictly discouraged to swim after your tan session. Otherwise, it might affect your tan in a way you might not want to encounter!
Q6: Can I use anything after my first shower?
You can use moisturizing lotions to keep your skin healthy, hydrated, and nourished. Also, some moisturizers help your tan to last longer.
You can most probably use them. However, be sure to use products that are sulfate-free and does not contain any strong chemical. Without those, you are good to go!
Spray tanning is one of the quickest beauty services in summer that gives you a beautiful glowing bronze tone. But washing off spray tan too early is not the kind of beauty service you want in the summer.
So, it’s better to wait than watching your money wash away with the water.
I hope by now you have got your answer to the question “how long to wait to shower after spray tanning?” Most experts recommend getting the tan in the evening and waiting overnight to shower.
That’s an ideal trip to make your tanning long-lasting and glowing. So, make sure to wait 5-8 hours before hopping into the shower and shower only with warm water.
Also, you can follow the extra tips we have provided to get the best results.